National Voter Registration Day is September 27, 2016. In association with, Nonprofit VOTE, National PTA will honor National Voter Registration Day by highlighting the importance of voter registration and voting. National PTA believes voter engagement is vital, as it: advances the mission and values of the PTA, increases voter turnout numbers and helps legislators and local leaders realize the importance of PTA-related issues/priorities. National PTA encourages PTA members form across the country to engage with their communities about registering to vote and the significance of the voting process. PTA members can get involved by reviewing National PTA election guides, and by rolling out voter registration and pledge campaigns.
These helpful manuals explain what nonprofits can and cannot do around elections, ballot measures, town halls, candidate forums and other election activities.
- Hosting a Candidate Forum (PDF): An in-depth guide with step-by-step instructions on planning a candidate forum, including what nonprofits can and cannot do.
Nonprofit VOTE has created a series of webinars to explain the ins and outs of nonprofit election activities.
- PTA Election Guide 101 (PPT): A helpful power point presentation that outlines the basics of nonpartisan voter engagement and how PTAs can affectively promote election activities in their communities.
- Voting In Your State: A state-by-state guide produced by Nonprofit VOTE that provides up to date information from state election officials on state election policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Voter Registration Tool: You can add this to your web page to provide members with information on registering to vote.
- Nonprofit VOTE has a wealth of election related resources for you to browse through.